The General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) is a recent mandate of the European Commission and is designed to strengthen and unify data protection. It is being enacted May 25th of 2018. With this implementation, there will be a number of changes in the way that data is stored – thus affecting many people’s websites. This is because even if you live in the U.S., if you collect data from someone in Germany, your site has to meet the EU (European Union) standards so users can manage their data.
But, what does it mean to have a WP site that is GDPR compliant? And, perhaps even more important, what do you need to do to be in compliance? Well, the good news is that the team at WordPress is working diligently to GDPR-proof the Core code before the May 25th deadline; however, there are things you will need to do. These include:
- A statement which assures guests that in the event of a security breach or hack that you will let them know it occurred.
- Obtaining clear consent to collect data through an opt-in. This means users must have the ability to clearly state “yes”, not just have the option to say “no”.
Of course, while getting your site GDPR compliant may mean more work, it does come with several benefits for company. Here are a few:
- You are increasing your cybersecurity, because you will have to establish thorough control over the entire IT infrastructure.
- There is better data management as you will be getting rid of redundant, obsolete and trivial information.
- You can increase your ROI and fine tune your approach because you are able to tailor your marketing campaigns based on a specific audience.
- Being GDPR compliant lets your guests know that you value their loyalty and trust.
If this seems overwhelming, don’t let it stress you out. The WordPress team is working hard to keep your responsibility at a minimum. But, if you still have questions about GDPR compliance and doing your part to get your site up to standard, then talk to the team at Page Progressive. We will be happy to answer your questions and help you.