Did your company’s New Year’s Resolution list include creating more website content? If so, then chances are, you decided to start writing a blog. After all, having a company blog is great – so long as you can continue to come up with topics, have time for writing or the funds to have someone do the writing for you.
That can seem like a tall order – especially if you are new to writing or don’t know where you are going to find time to accomplish another item on the “To Do” list. Thankfully, crafting a blog post doesn’t have to be an insurmountable task.
7 Tips for Powerful Blog Posts
If starting a blog is on your list for 2018, then be sure to keep these tips in mind as you write:
- Choose a topic that solves problems. Think about questions or concerns people might have about your products/services and craft posts that answer questions such as “7 Ways to Use ____________” or “9 Reasons _________ is Better than _________”.
- Write about newsworthy events. If something has changed in your industry or perhaps you are offering a new product or service, then this is the perfect blog topic. You could also be creative in using current events or occurrences – i.e. the solar eclipse or perhaps the blue moon – to help you craft unique blog posts.
- Look for ways to stand out from the crowd. It seems nearly everyone has a blog page, so how do you garner the attention you want? This might take a bit of trial and error to find the voice and approach you want, but it’s time well-invested. Some ideas are: telling your own story, implementing video, creating custom art, always having a giveaway, or perhaps having a monthly contest. Do some brainstorming and start experimenting to see what works.
- Plan ahead. As much as possible, make a list of potential blog topics but don’t feel obligated to stick with them there is an opportunity to share industry news or event you can use instead.
- Keep your blog simple. You don’t need to overwhelm your readership with industry jargon and terminology. Also, don’t take 5 paragraphs to get to point of your blog. Introduce the focus through the title, and then introduce the topic within the first 2-3 paragraphs.
- Make it easy to read. While longer blogs will do well in web search, not every reader wants to read multi-sentence paragraphs and 2,500+ word blog posts. The average reader prefers 400 to 600-word posts, comprised of short (2-4) lines of text.
- Show your personality. We typically don’t speak using formal English, so don’t feel obligated to use it when you write. Yes, you need to use proper grammar, proofread your posts, and ensure readability, but don’t be so concerned that your blog post must stack up to a Ph.D thesis that you never even start.
These tips will help you craft a blog that keeps your readers engaged and curious about what you have to say. It might take a modicum of time for the readership to grow, but in time, you will have many readers following you and visiting your website on a regular basis.
If having a company blog is important to you, but you just aren’t sure where to find the time do craft one each month, don’t get discouraged. Rather, talk to Page Progressive about monthly blog posts. We will be happy to help you get the web content you need, without adding yet another task to your schedule.