PHP (Hypertext Preprocessor) is one of the most popular server-side scripting languages for website development and can be used to create a variety of types of websites. There are several popular web content and ecommerce systems out there such as WordPress, Drupal, Magento and Joomla which are all developed in PHP. In fact, statistics show that more than 80% of websites are created using PHP and nearly all web hosting providers offer it as an option. But what is so special about PHP? After all, there are dozens of other options…
Why Use PHP?
- PHP has an abundance of plugins and frameworks that make it unique from other languages. These make development much simpler and faster to implement.
- PHP can be used on nearly any platform – MS Windows, Mac OS, Linux, or just about any other server or operating system.
- PHP has been around a very long time and therefore it is likely to be sticking around for a long time. The last thing you want to happen is to develop a website on a newer technology that ends up dying in a few years (Ahem… Cold Fusion).
- There are tons of resources if you want to get started with PHP or need help. The community is massive and there are many resources online to find tutorials or support forums for PHP.
- PHP is open source and therefore your hosting tends to be a lot less expensive than commercial options that are offered from Microsoft or other companies.
With so many great aspects, it is no wonder that PHP has continued to stand the test of time and is the go-to tool for many developers for creating custom websites.
The Page Progressive team uses PHP to accomplish a variety of task for our clients from custom WordPress plugins to web-based applications. If you need to make your business more efficient, then talk to the Page Progressive team today!