Social bookmarking is a relatively new concept that allows people who visit a website to share information that they find with their friends or associates that they are connected to in a variety of social websites such as Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, Digg, Delicious and more.
This post will cover 5 ways that you can get more traffic to your website using social bookmarking as well as bleed over into link building in general as the two are closely related.
1) Make it easy to share. Make sure every page on your site that you want to get links to has an easy way for people to share it with others – news articles, pages, ecommerce products, etc. There are a number of tools out there, such as Sharethis.com that will give you a snippet of code that you can easily drop in to any page on your site. Also, many content management systems have this feature built in.
2) Share your own articles. Once you write a killer article or press release, share it with your group of contacts in the social media sites that you participate in. Don’t be afraid to endorse your new article on Twitter, Facebook, etc.
3) Bookmark other sites. Use a service such as Delicious to develop your own directory of useful links. Other people who trust your opinion will see what other sites you’ve found to be interesting. This also works with link promotion sites like Digg, StumbleUpon, Technorati (if it’s a blog post) and many, many other sites.
4) Comment on other people’s bookmarks. If other people are alredy drawing traffic from a great link, post a comment if you can to get your branding associated with that person’s success as well. This is great for blogs in particular. Comment on other people’s posts (but keep it pleasant!)and offer additional thoughts or just some encouragement.
5) Ask people for links. If you know that your article or post would be particularly of interest to another website community, trade organization, etc., ask them if they would mind linking to your article. In fact, use our free link-building tool to make sure you get the best formatting for that link. If it is truly a good article or post, there’s a good chance you’ll get good links to it.
These are just a few tips to demonstrate how you can leverage social bookmarks to better promote your site. Stay tuned for more tips!