Is Chat GPT the Answer for Website Copy?
If you own a business or do any amount of writing, you have likely heard of ChatGPT. Since its release in 2022, it has become a tool often used by those who want to produce written content but prefer not to do the writing. Chat GPT (generative Pre-training Transformer) was initially used to build chatbots and other natural language processing (NLP). In its simplest description, ChatGPT is an artificial intelligence text generator. It was developed by OpenAI and based on OpenAI’s GPT-3.5 language model.
How Does ChatGPT Work?
In its simplest format, Chat GPT can develop content on an expansive array of topics. The material created will be informative and typically sound like someone wrote it. Chat GPT generates this content based on set parameters, allowing control of the format, topic, and other specifics. For example, using the ChatGPT tool, you could provide the following specifics:
- Define “Topic.”
- Determine a top 5 list.
- Write 3- 5 sentences explaining “Topic,” but include “Topic B” and “Topic C.”
- Write a jingle about “Topic”, but include “Topic B” and “Topic C.”.
- Keep the jingle to a maximum of 29 words.
- Lines 2 and 4 must rhyme.
- Write an email explaining the advantages of using the jingle to boost sales.
In mere minutes, Chat GPT can create material that meets these rules. But just because Chat GPT has this capability, does this mean there is no need for human writers? After all, for years, web content has been written by people for people. In fact, a common phrase in website design, development, and maintenance is “Content is king.”
ChatGPT may seem like an answered prayer for those who don’t enjoy writing. No more writing emails, blog posts, spending time on SEO, or other written tasks. But before you decide to fire your writers and swap to Chat GPT, understand the pros and cons.
Pros of Using ChatGPT
- It can quickly respond to FAQs.
- Can be used to generate a wide range of content and ideas, saving time on brainstorming or other tasks.
- It is a helpful tool for researching a topic. Just be sure to check the facts and follow up on sources.
- It can save time creating lists, content planning and creation, headlines, meta-content, other writing elements, and behind-the-scenes SEO tasks.
- ChatGPT identifies customer needs and directs them to the right services or products. This can be especially helpful for e-commerce and marketing.
- You can set parameters for tracking customer interactions. This gives you a more accurate analysis of what works best.
- Saves time for accomplishing a multitude of tasks.
- You can use it for writing or editing code.
Cons of Using ChatGPT
- Chat GPT cannot craft content that shows E-E-A-T (Experience, Expertise, Authority, and Trustworthiness). While these are not a direct factor in search engine ranking, they are aspects that Google uses to determine a webpage’s quality.
- Using AI-generated content could affect how Google will crawl the page. It’s still not clear how Google treats AI-generated content in regards to ranking in their search engine.
- There is no emotional intelligence. For many people, emotions are critical in what they buy or think. A blog post or product description with only dry, factual content is less likely to garner the emotional response that keeps the reader or potential buyer engaged.
- It is not infallible. You will still need to go through material written by ChatGPT and check for accuracy.
- Setting up ChatGPT requires significant time to set up and train people to use it in a way that benefits your company.
- There is a risk of plagiarism, something you should always avoid, not just for the legal ramifications but because having duplicate web content can lower your SEO ranking.
- ChatGPT does well with simple topics and concepts but struggles writing blog posts that are more involved or complex.
Ways ChatGPT Can Help
- Assist with keyword research.
- Group keywords as related to semantic relevance
- Generate headline ideas
- Create content
- Identify websites for guest post outreach
- Automate meta-description writing
- Write meta tags
- Generate sitemaps
These are just a few ways ChatGPT can help you save time on website design and content. There are several other scenarios where it can certainly save you time.
When it comes to basic writing jobs such as emails, texts, or even social media posts, Chat GPT is a great way to simplify your task list. But before switching to using it for your website, be sure to weigh out the pros and cons. However, many authorities in the industry do not recommend using ChatGPT for content writing, as it can hurt more than help.
If you are trying to determine if Chat GPT is suitable for your website content, blog posts, or other material, don’t make a haphazard decision. Our Page Progressive team has years of experience and would love to answer any questions you may have about ChatGPT or website content, development, or design. Contact us today.