With the commonality of smartphones, people everywhere are finding that more and more, they depend on their phone to help them get things done and the term “app” has become a household word. Consequently, perceptive companies are producing web applications, which consumers can use to make life easier whether on a mobile device or a desktop computer. The applications range in price and function, and appeal to consumers of every age and interest. But what is that makes one app more desirable or more successful than another? If you are planning to design a web app, there are 10 elements you will want to keep in mind.
- Is the web app useful? An app needs to be beneficial the moment one loads it. If you design an app that takes a while to configure or if the app involves a lot of data entry before it can become useful, it is not going to be well received.
- How quick is it? This is perhaps the most important element of any app. It may be the most beneficial app on the on the market but if it is slow-people will not use it.
- Make it simple to use. Users are inundated daily with information. As a result, they do not need an app that requires a manual to use or understand. However, some web app specialists feel that if the app is something the consumer “can’t live without” it is okay to require them to take a few extra steps. You can always add more functionality later on.
- Appearance matters. While the adage states to never judge a book by its cover, in the world of web apps the appearance of the app is just as important as what it does. When designing a web app, pay attention to the design details. Consider using shading, rounded corners, buttons or changing the aps appearance each time it is updated so that the user feels they are getting something new.
- Notifications –Sending your web users notifications that upgrades or changes have taken place is a good way to remind them of your existence. Periodic notifications mean that your users are kept in the loop; the catch is to find a way that alerts without annoying.
- Surprise everyone! Create an app that does the unexpected. This lets the consumer know that you want them and are working to give them what they want. In addition, provide them with great customer service. Remember a happy customer will tell 2 to 3 people, unhappy customers will tell dozens. If your ultimate goal in creating web apps is to increase your revenue then excelling in customer service, as well as in apps that go above and beyond expectations, is crucial.
- Pleasurable- You don’t have to create an app that is only designed for working. Whether it is a photo sharing option or a unique way to connect with others, a fun app is sure to be talked about, ultimately resulting in more revenue for you.
- Keep it clean. An effective app doesn’t have to be cluttered. The use of white space keeps the user from being distracted or confused.
- Make ‘em pay. Ideally, you want to profit from your app. While many apps are free, there is nothing wrong with designing an app that has a nominal charge. Using a freemium subscription model, advertising, coupon, donations, affiliate marketing or any other method is acceptable and legitimate.
- Can it be found? Each day there are thousands of apps released. Use SEO principles and social media design elements to make your app discoverable. This should be done from the beginning of the design process so that the app will be able to succeed right from the start.
While these principles are generally geared toward creating apps for the mobile phone, features such as ease of use and speed are also applicable toward designing apps for the web. In fact, just as mobile apps make life easier for the average consumer on the go, having a web app for your company can save you numerous hours. Just think, a web app that helps you to compile sales or client information would mean that you could quickly access what day (or days) of the month are best for sales, create a marketing campaign that targets a specific area or perhaps allows you to know what your clients are most interested in. A web app can also be created for churches and community groups to help connected people with projects, classes and other opportunities both inside and outside of their ministry/organization.
Not only will having a web app improve how your business works externally, but also it will also impact how you do business. Having a web app (or several that are integrated) will allow your employees to accomplish more work in less time. In turn, this efficiency results in more time for building customer relationships and ultimately increasing revenue. And since it’s on the web, your coworkers can access it anywhere.
If you are concerned about the cost of having a web app designed for company, consider this: How much money will you lose if you do not? The money spent on a web app to improve your business efficiency is an investment certain to pay off.
The world of the web app-whether for one’s business or the mobile device- is constantly evolving. Use these principles when designing your web apps to ensure that your web is all you want it to be. You can do it yourself, or talk to our web professionals here at Page Progressive to help you design a web app sure to delight everyone.